Sunday, September 30, 2012

Wedding Chalk Board

So Jenn is getting married and asked me to make something she saw on pinterest, I stuck with the idea but make it my own.

Instead of using a white frame like the one in the picture I chose to check out Re Store {Habitat for Humanity runs it} Love this place! I wasn't sure what I was looking for I just figured I'd search around. As I was looking around I saw the tall stack of cabinet doors and !Eureka! perfect chalk board base... covered in dust and cobwebs I saw it's potential. Went to check out and it was only $3!

Took it home and sanded it:

I knew I wanted it to be darker so luckily I already had some dark wood stain left over from doing my bar.

Then it needed to be sealed and glossed up with a layer of polyurethane on the frame and the first layer of chalkboard paint:

Gorgeous right?!?! ...But wait there's more... I told her they must have used paint because the words looked so bold I figured no way could that actually be chalk that they used. When I was at Michael's looking at paint I saw they had Chalk markers! What?! Perfect right!

I did a trial run copying the words from the original picture finding out that I needed to move things around to make it fit...

Next it was time to add some cute decorations to pretty it up. I found the cutest Burlap Flower and pearl stickers:
Luckily they already had sticky stuff on the back but I had my trusty E-6000 there just in case.
Put big detail on top:
Then little touch on the bottom corner:
Then some pearl stickers to the other corners so they weren't left bare.
And Ta Da!!!


I love it so much I'm planning on going back to Re Store tomorrow to make a new one!

No comments:

Post a Comment